Director of Development
Big Brothers Big Sisters has proudly been providing life changing mentoring relationships in Canada since 1913 and in Peel Region since 1967. The young people within our agency are facing adversity and in need of an additional consistent and supportive developmental relationship. With the guidance and support of a mentor it is our vision that every young person realizes their full potential and achieves their dreams. The youth within our agency build meaningful relationships with adult role models while developing their social and emotional competence, mental health and well- being and educational engagement.
At Big Brothers Big Sisters of Peel, we provide a wide range of different mentoring programs in the community to young people 6 - 17 years of age. In 2019 we were able to provide mentoring and supportive relationships to over 1,800 children and youth within our 14 core mentoring programs. Mentoring relationships help to ignite the power and potential of our young people. It takes as little as an hour a week to help a child gain the confidence to achieve more.
The benefits we see within our young people are immeasurable, including increased confidence and self-esteem, improved relationships with family and peers, improved social skills, a more positive attitude towards school and they are less likely to use drugs or alcohol. BBBSP can proudly claim their social return on investment (SROI) mentoring programs generate an average SROI of $18 -$23 for every dollar invested. For more information please visit: bbbspeel.com.
The Director of Development will report to the President/CEO, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Peel (BBBSP); and is a member of the Senior Management Team. The Director of Development is responsible for securing, building relationships with, and stewarding corporations, individuals, foundations and Government Departments to promote support and giving to BBBSP (including grants, GIK, sponsorship, major gifts, online giving and other resource development programs) and to ensure the organization is able to fund mentoring and other youth development programs in the increasingly competitive fundraising/philanthropic environment.
- Relevant experience (4+ years) in a management role raising funds in the non-profit sector.
- University degree or College Diploma in Philanthropy, Fundraising Management or a suitable combination of experience and education.
- Proven fundraising success with individuals, corporations, foundations and community organizations; including securing gifts-in-kind, sponsorship, online giving/digital giving and leveraging CSR and volunteer workplace programs.
- Out-of-the-box thinker; creative and able to bring fresh strategies and ideas to fruition.
- Ability to effectively and passionately communicate with a wide variety of audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships with people in a variety of levels and types of organizations, including with senior leaders.
- Experience and success in securing gifts of $5,000 plus; including developing a pipeline, prospect research, creating cases for support, moves management, and stewardship.
- Collaborative leadership skills; donor-centred.
- Good interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills; with a great sense of humour.
- A team player; familiar with managing volunteers, staff, and Board Members.
- Highly motivated, dynamic, proactive and professional with ability to manage numerous projects.
- Understanding and experience of best practices in operating and meeting the statutory and regulatory obligations of a non-profit organization.
- Proven financial, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent computer skills including Power Point, Excel, Word, CRM software, social media platforms and digital giving programs.
- Driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle.
- Able to work some evenings and weekends to attend meetings and events.
- CFRE designation or related professional certification.
- Interest or experience in Government Relations.
Please apply by July 31, through our online portal, you will receive a notification, confirming receipt of your application submission.
We request all applications to be submitted online only.
For additional information regarding this job posting please reach out to Gina Eisler at firstname.lastname@example.org or please call 647.529.5106
For technical issues in submitting your application online, please contact email@example.com.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their resume and letter of interest online, through our website or by email to our consultant, in confidence. We thank all applicants for applying, however, only qualified candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.