The Hamilton/Burlington SPCA (HBSPCA) is an animal welfare charity. The HBSPCA protects animals from people, cares for animals in its companion animal hospital, kennels and foster homes and promotes responsible pet ownership.
Founded in 1887, the Hamilton/Burlington SPCA serves a mixed urban and rural community. Programs and services are directed to protecting animals from people, teaching responsible pet ownership and caring for animals in its companion animal hospital, foster homes and kennels. Innovative pet therapy programs reach children and youth with autism, seniors in their homes, and youth in residential settings. About 1,000 animals are adopted out every year. The HBSPCA is a donor-based organization and relies on individual, business and corporate donations for sustainability.
The Board of the HBSPCA is conducting a search for a new:
Chief Executive Officer
Reporting to a Board of Directors the President & Chief Executive Officer facilitates and provides strategic leadership on matters relating to program development and the promotion of animal welfare, including those concerning animal care and cruelty investigations. The President & CEO is responsible for the management of the organization and all its components.
- A builder with a minimum of seven (7) years of experience in progressively senior leadership positions in the non-profit sector
- Strong board governance experience reporting to a volunteer Board of Directors (minimum 3 years)
- A proven track record in organizational leadership managing a team of staff and volunteer leaders
- A good understanding of philanthropy and experience in building diversified strategic fundraising programs
- Experience working with isolated and marginalized community members
- Strong record of managing a budget and reporting on the results
- Experience working with all levels of government officials and media
- Demonstrated business and financial acumen
- Strong leadership and management skills
- Knowledge/capacity in the area of philanthropy & fundraising
- Demonstrated skills in strategic thinking and strategic planning
- Exceptional communication skills with the ability to speak well in public forums
- Experience in advocacy
- An understanding of the role of animals as related to the wellbeing of humans
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships and network with key stakeholders
- Problem solving, innovation, and vision for emerging opportunities
- Inspirational leadership
- Development of others
- Customer service orientation
- Strategic relationship management
- Strategic thinking
- Results orientation
- Managing change
- Demonstrating ethics and integrity
- Demonstrating openness and leading new ideas and innovative thinking.
• Demonstrated passion for animals and experience working in animal welfare
• BA or higher in an area of study applicable to the role or a combination of education and experience in the field
This search is being conducted on behalf of the HBSPCA by crawfordconnect, a search firm specializing in recruiting leaders for Canada’s non-profit sector. If someone you know may be interested in this position, please feel free to forward this document – we would be pleased to connect with them.
Questions about the position? Contact Liz Latimer at email@example.com or at 416.690.5377 / 1.866.647.5149.
Issues with applying? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their resume and letter of interest online, through our website, in confidence. We thank all applicants for applying, however, only qualified candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.