The OutCare Foundation is an independent registered charity dedicated to raising funds for community-based palliative care in Eastern Ontario.
Originally called the Riverside Hospital Foundation, raising funds for the Riverside Hospital of Ottawa, the Foundation became the Ottawa Regional Health Care Foundation in 1997 following an acute-care hospital restructuring in Ottawa. In 2001, the Foundation turned its focus to “out” of hospital “care” and was accordingly renamed the OutCare Foundation. Its transformation was completed with a focus on end-of-life care since 2005.
As an independent organization, the OutCare Foundation has been able to fund a broad range of initiatives for palliative care providers throughout the region, working with them to ensure it makes the most out of every dollar. Whether through its successful telemedicine project, work in Advance Care Planning, bursaries for palliative care volunteers and students, or by providing equipment for comfort and care, the OutCare Foundation works closely with generous donors to improve the quality of life for those facing end-of-life. Since 1998, the foundation has provided over $2.2 million in community-based funding, $1.75 million of which was for palliative care.
The OutCare Foundation’s mandate doesn’t tie them to any agency, government, or provider, allowing them to fund priorities in its community, and to assess and provide support where it is needed most.
Experts, caregivers and service providers from across our region have set out a vision for palliative care improvements, but there is a funding gap to making this vision a reality. This is where the OutCare Foundation can and does help. The Foundation has identified four priority areas where additional funding will have an impact on the availability and quality of palliative care in the Eastern Ontario region:
- Providing care when and where it is needed;
- Supporting families, caregivers and volunteers;
- Connecting people to information; and
- Expanding knowledge through education.
Since its founding, the OutCare Foundation has evolved and focused its efforts on fundraising and awareness for palliative care. Today monies are invested in palliative care, including equipment to improve comfort and care, education, and programs. OutCare funds 18 organizations throughout Eastern Ontario.
The Executive Director
Reporting to the Chair of the Board, the Executive Director creates, develops and implements a strategy to increase
palliative care funding and awareness in Eastern Ontario. This responsibility includes fundraising through donors, funders and events, as well as raising awareness of the Foundation and palliative care services. It also requires relationship building with educators, community groups, and volunteers, The ED provides structure to the organization and oversees staff, external service providers, and volunteers in fundraising and events, board governance, the palliative care community, and communications.
- Reporting to the Chair of the OutCare Foundation, the new Executive Director will be responsible for:
- Increasing the awareness of the Foundation, the palliative care cause and the providers of palliative care services;
- Developing and executing the Foundation’s annual fundraising and strategic plans;
- Building relationships with community groups and institutions in Eastern Ontario that support and are interested in community-based health care;
- Establishing fundraising targets, presenting them to the Board, and then executing and delivering on these targets;
- Overseeing structure and process to the organization; the generation of creative ideas and solutions to advance the
- Conduct annual financial planning, budgeting, and reporting
- Develop annual operating plans, monitor and report on its achievement to the board
- Set and achieve annual fundraising targets through available resources
- Oversee the planning and execution of fundraising events
- Oversee all communications of OutCare and ensure consistency of message
- Conduct public speaking and media interviews about OutCare services and palliative care
- Represent OutCare to donors, funders, volunteers, palliative community, and government
- Recruit board members and ensure appropriate board governance
- Plan and support board and committee meetings, assembling and distributing board agendas, minutes, and information in a timely manner
- Originate new donors and maintain existing donor base and engagement
- Review and report on fundraising results to the board and recommend improvement where appropriate
- Ensure compliance with all legal and CRA requirements
- Hire, develop and lead staff in the achievement of annual plans
Education, Experience & Technical Skills
- Minimum 8 – 10 years of experience in professional fundraising and philanthropic work environment with a minimum of 4 - 5 in management
- Experience working with a non-profit board – board governance (reporting to a board, exposure to a non-profit board or board member experience)
- Strong volunteer management experience
- Excellent marketing skills to grow the profile of the organization
- Experience in fundraising events
- Strong media relations experience
- Tremendous organizational and planning skills
- Exceptional communication skills (verbal, written and presentations)
- A strong negotiator
- Understanding of the need for end-of-life care
- Fundraising in palliative care is an asset
- Experience working with LHINs (Local Healthcare Integrated Network) is an asset
- Bilingual (English and French) is an asset
This search is being conducted on behalf of OutCare Foundation by crawfordconnect, a search firm specializing in recruiting leaders and fundraisers for Canada’s non-profit sector. If someone you know may be interested in this position please feel free to forward this document – we would be pleased to connect with them.
By June 25, 2018, please apply with both your cover letter and resume by clicking the "Apply to this position" button.
Questions about the position? Contact Licinia Bennett at firstname.lastname@example.org or 416.786.8295.
Issues with applying? Please call 1 (866) 647-5149 or email email@example.com.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their resume and letter of interest online, through our website, in confidence. We thank all applicants for applying, however, only qualified candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.