Job ID 88
Permanent Executive Director
Street Haven at the Crossroads offers pathways for women experiencing or at risk of homelessness, through a variety of integrated services including: Emergency Shelter, Supportive Housing, Addiction Services and a Learning Centre.
Founded in 1965, Street Haven’s services include:
- A 50-bed emergency shelter which provides basic living needs including safety, meals, clothing, hot showers, access to medical support and counselling to help rebuild their lives;
- Supportive Housing accommodations for 32 women in three different downtown Toronto locations. Residents, who may be recovering from trauma, addressing mental wellness challenges or substance abuse issues, learn to set their own goals, live independently and become active community members. A variety of workshops and programs are offered to enhance life skills and communication;
- Addiction Services – Grant House is a six-month, 10-bed residential treatment program for women with substance use issues;
- The Street Haven Learning Centre provides free training with a flexible, women-centred approach. Two unique programs - Literacy and Basic Skills and Pre-Employment support women’s educational, employment and independence pathways. In addition, there is access to 8 computers in the lab with internet, Microsoft suite and self-directed learning programs.
Street Haven is funded by government (79%), donations, grants and room & board of its residents.
Permanent Executive Director
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director (ED) is responsible for the management of all aspects of the operation and services. The ED leads the overall strategic direction of the shelter and is accountable for human resources, all programming, property and finances including fundraising. The ED reports directly to the Board of Directors of Street Haven. Street Haven is seeking an experienced and energetic leader who is ready to lead the organization into a new strategic plan.
- A strategic thinker with strong leadership skills to facilitate integrated execution of multiple deliverables
- A minimum of 7 to 9 years of experience in progressively senior leadership positions in the non-profit sector and a proven track record in organizational leadership
- Ability to inspire staff to optimize their level of performance and productivity in a team-oriented environment
- Demonstrated track record of financial competency and solid business acumen including the ability to make strategic and operational budget and spending decisions
- An articulate communicator (written & verbal) with highly effective presentation and public speaking skills. Proven ability to relate to diverse groups of people and communicate effectively at all levels
- Strong commitment to teamwork, able to mobilize staff in joint efforts
- Experience and/or exposure to working with a volunteer board and an understanding of board governance
- Experience in the sector working with shelters and/or supportive housing and the mental health community
- Experience working in a multi-funded agency with multiple locations and priorities
- Strong marketing skills
- Proven track record in an advocacy role and ability to influence government programs and policies
- Ability to establish and build relationships with leaders in the non-profit and government sectors
- Bachelor's degree in relevant field.
- Collaborative, engaging, inclusive and supportive leadership style
- Strong commitment and results orientated
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to build and foster internal and external relationships
- Transparent, open, approachable; ensures that staff have the knowledge and resources needed to excel in their job
- High emotional intelligence
- Ability to multi-task and manage shifting priorities
- A good listener
- High energy, empathetic, builds trust,
- The ability to build strong relationships and trust with clients, staff, volunteers and other agency stakeholders and partners
- Strong understanding of the social implications of gender inequity, addictions and their impact on homelessness
- Working with Unions
- Experience with property management
- Passion for the mission of Street Haven
- Business Administration or MBA considered an asset
These searches are being conducted on behalf of Street Haven by crawfordconnect, a search firm specializing in recruiting leaders for Canada’s non-profit sector. If someone you know may be interested in this position please feel free to forward this document – we’d be pleased to connect with them.
By May 1, 2018, please apply with your cover letter and resume to both, our website, click the "Apply for this position" button and by email directly to Cynthia Armour at email@example.com referencing Job ID 88 – Permanent Executive Director in the subject line.
Questions about the position? Please reach out to Cynthia Armour at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Issues with applying? Please call 1 (866) 647-5149 or email email@example.com.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their resume and letter of interest online, through our website or by email to our consultant, in confidence. We thank all applicants for applying, however, only qualified candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.